Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

You Made A What?

A Milking Stanchion!!!

I had a minor panic that one of our goats was going to give birth about immediately... I was totally wrong but it did make me realize that we had a few loose ends to tie up before the kids came.  So it became stanchion day.  I toyed with the idea of ordering one but am very glad I gave it a shot first.  We would have paid about $325 for a store bought stand.  This one cost about $1.25.  Can't beat that. 



My rockin neighbor Paul was on his way to the dump with a load of "junk" lumber.  The timing was perfect.  Here is how it all went together.  Mind the herd dog mindfully doing his job in the background.









By the way, a milking stanchion is a table where the goat stands and snacks on grain while you milk her.  The two cross bars in the center pivot to hold her head in place if she gets squirmy.  Lots of folks said I'd be better off buying a store bought stanchion.  I'm glad I gave it a whirl first.  This will last us many years!!




No comments:

Post a Comment